About Me

I am an outgoing, bubbly and often times crazy individual. I love being goofy and silly. I often say that life with me will never be boring. I enjoy my life and appreciate every moment of it. There is nothing like getting lost in my artwork...in my own little world... Often times when I get an idea, or begin a new project, I will "dive in" and only "come up for air".

Monday, June 4, 2012

Sketching & Watercolor On Location Online Course


Earlier this spring I enrolled in a class called: Sketching & Watercolor On Location Online Course. It's been a lot of fun, and I am hoping to learn a lot from my work. With luck, I will be able to receive advice, suggestions and ideas by positing my images here on my blog. If you have any thoughts, please leave me a message! I would appreciate feedback.


* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The first thing I did for this class was simply to practice using the materials (the water soluble pen etc). I had some pens kicking around at home and did buy a few more for this class but wasn't sure how to use them with water.

There is a beautiful tree next to where my boyfriend works that hangs over the river/canal. I did not know what kind of tree it was, it was early April, and there were no buds on the branches, but I could have sworn it was some sort of willow. The branches drooped down in such a way, and the bark on the trunk was smooth, yet allowed for knots and bumps in the tree itself. It is fascinating to look at.

I began sketching it while waiting to pick him up, and got quite far along. Unfortunately, as fate would have it, he was ready to go before me, and I was stuck defining my many sketched lines with pen... away from the tree and from memory (it had been dusk, and my camera would not get the details clearly).
 
 Later, I began applying water. It turns out, the pen I was using and thought was water soluble (it said so on the package) really wasn't that great. I would get some bleeding, but it would not smudge much.

  So, I figured what the heck, I might as well try the color anyway, it wont hurt. 

And I liked it...

But then I added more color and more...and I think I went too far. Now, I really have no idea what to do with this one... I kind of like it..? But it is not what I had envisioned.



Later.. (like a few weeks later) I stumbled upon a certain ball point pen that smudged Beautifuly, it will be traveling with m watercolor kit from now on.

This is  the water soluble pen, with some burnt umber watercolor to contrast it.





Lesson 1:   Keys

I actually drew the double keys first. It took me several tries (it felt like forever) to get them to a point that I felt comfortable with their detail.
  
I decided I needed a break and would return to paint them later, unfortunately, I did not have my key sketch with me when the "urge to paint" struck, so I started over. This time I did a single key and decided to illustrate it. 
I knew I wasn't done with it and didn't like the feel of the project (I am an art teacher, balance is a  big deal to me). So I added some dimension to the letters and shadow below. 
I like it a lot better now! However, what can I do to make it better? I am always looking for suggestions and advice.


I am looking forward to your thoughts!



1 comment:

  1. Your keys look great! sorry you couldn't join in on the forum for comments from me and your fellow students........but life happens and I do understand.

    ReplyDelete